Wednesday, April 8, 2026

Memories of Madurai


I was in the tenth standard when Madurai first became magical to me.


My parents and I had arrived by train in the early evening, the kind of warm southern dusk that wraps itself around your skin like silk. Instead of taking an auto, we decided to walk from the railway station to my aunt’s house.


Even now, when I think of Madurai, it returns to me through its senses before its streets.


The hawkers outside the station were selling soft idlies and crisp vadas from steel containers, steam curling into the air. The smell of jasmine flowers drifted from women’s braids and roadside garlands. Somewhere in the distance, temple bells rang in slow, familiar rhythm, as if the whole city breathed to their sound.


That was when I noticed him.


A boy, perhaps a little older than me, standing near a tea stall and looking at me with open curiosity.


I suppose I must have stood out. I was clearly not from there—my clothes, my manner, even the way I walked beside my parents marked me as someone from elsewhere. He seemed intrigued by it.


As we continued walking, I realized he was following us.


Not too close. Just enough for me to notice.


Strangely, I wasn’t frightened. I simply moved closer to my father and held his arm tightly, stealing the occasional glance behind me.


Then, just as suddenly as he had appeared, he was gone.


By the time we reached my aunt’s house, the place was already buzzing with life. Relatives filled every room, cousins laughed in corners, steel tumblers clinked, and the kitchen was alive with aromas of sambar, ghee, and roasted appalams.


As was expected of the girls, I found myself in the kitchen helping serve dinner.


The house was overflowing with people when someone suddenly rushed in and asked for water.


I didn’t even look up properly. I simply grabbed a jug, filled it quickly, and turned to hand it over.


Our hands touched.


For a second, everything stopped.


He had reached for the jug at the exact moment I offered it, and his fingers closed lightly over mine.


Both of us froze.


I looked up.


It was him.


The same boy from the street.


A strange heat rushed through my body—sharp, unfamiliar, almost frightening in its intensity. My heart stumbled in my chest. He looked just as startled, but then his expression softened into the smallest smile.


I broke the gaze first and quickly let go.


He took the jug, turned, then glanced back once more before walking away.


That smile stayed with me through the rest of dinner.


Unable to contain my curiosity, I quietly asked my aunt who he was.


“Oh, him?” she said casually. “He’s your cousin’s friend. He stays here sometimes.”


That explained the ease with which he had moved through the house, as though he belonged there.


The rest of the evening unfolded in stolen glances.


Across plates being served. Over bowls being passed. Through the movement of too many people in too little space.


Later that night, we found ourselves on the terrace.


Madurai nights have their own kind of hush—warm breeze, distant temple sounds, stars scattered lazily above old rooftops.


Neither of us was as bold as our eyes had been.


Perhaps we were simply too young.


We spoke in hesitant fragments—school, where I lived, what he wanted to study, how crowded the house was. Simple things, but every word felt precious. Before we parted, we exchanged email IDs, the most intimate promise teenagers could make in those days.


That night, sleep never really came.


I lay awake replaying every glance, every smile, every accidental touch.


The next day, we all went to the temple.


He came along too, unexpectedly helpful to my parents, carrying bags, finding slippers, guiding us through the crowd as if he had quietly appointed himself guardian of our visit.


Now and then our hands brushed while passing offerings, flowers, or prasad.


Each touch came with a sly smile and a ridiculous storm of palpitations in my young heart.


Then, too soon, it was time to leave.


The next morning we said goodbye to the family, gathered our bags, and headed to the railway station.


He wasn’t there.


I kept looking for him, pretending I wasn’t.


The sadness surprised me.


I sat by the train window feeling hollow, convinced that Madurai would remain unfinished in my memory because I hadn’t seen him one last time.


Then, just as the train prepared to move, I heard my name.


I turned.


He was standing just outside, slightly breathless.


He had come.


He was traveling onward to his own home, he said, but had stopped by just to wish us goodbye.


For a moment, the noise of the station faded—the vendors, the whistles, the restless crowd.


He simply looked into my eyes and said, softly, “Keep in touch.”


Then he smiled and stepped away.


The train pulled forward, and I watched him until the platform blurred into distance.


To this day, Madurai feels touched by something sacred and sweet in my memory.


Not because of the temple bells or jasmine-scented streets, though they were beautiful.


But because somewhere in that city, among warm evenings and crowded family dinners, my young heart first learned the language of sweet nothings.


And ever since, Madurai has belonged to that feeling.



No comments: